<span class="highlight">Satellite</span> <span class="highlight">TV</span> Dishes

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:02
ThreadID: 59149 Views:3629 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Seeking help to choose an efficient and convenient dish for a motorhome constantly on the move. Does anyone have experience with any of the auto rooftop dishes?
Also, what is the best way of getting internet access in remote areas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:17

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:17
Hi
I installed a Campersat system in my brother-in-law's bus/motor home. I think it cost him about $5000. You just push the "on" button on the controller in the motorhome and the dish unfolds and adjusts it's self to find the satellite. It takes up to about 1 min, sometimes a lot quicker. We have connected it to two decoder boxes via a selector switch, one for Optus Aurora and one for Austar pay tv.
We mounted the unit to an aluminium plate then cut a hole in the roof and mounted the plate to the roof. There is also a signal wire that is connected to the ignition, so if the bus is started, the dish folds down, so you don't drive off with the dish up.
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 311952

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:54
Sounds very flash and impressive
FollowupID: 577934

Follow Up By: Novice Nomads - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:01

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:01
Thanks Neil,
Can a limited handyman manage installation or does it need some electrical nouse?
Regards
Graham
FollowupID: 578263

Reply By:- Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:12

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:12
It must be a worry having that much money!
AnswerID: 311964

Follow Up By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:05

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:05
Yep !!!
It makes my $400 unit, and a dish on a tripod look very average !!!
Neil
FollowupID: 577947

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 14:22

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 14:22
Can't comment on the TV question (we go without). For internet, what works for us is very simple and no contracts required.

We use a Samsung A 412 Next G phone (any good Next G phone with a direct external antenna connection will do).

Simply ring Telstra and activate a casual data pack ( we use a 1G pack for $89 per month, other packs include 200M for $59). There is no contract on these packs. Activate and cancel whenever you want. We travel for about 6 months each year, so activate only when we hit the road. This is (I believe) the simplest and cheapest set up for net connection.

Load the supplied software, connect the phone to the laptop with the supplied data cable and start surfing.

I am currently sitting on the bank of the McArthur River, 40 KM outside Borroloola in NT. Have a 6.5db antenna on a sappling about 20 feet in the air. All works very well for us.

Contracted plans are also available via Telstra and Bigpond, using modem cards you plug into the laptop. We did not go this way because of the need for a (normally) 2 year contract - and the service costs about the same. But they do work well also, so are an option if you travel full time.

That's our experience. Hope it helps.

Norm C
AnswerID: 312010

Follow Up By: Outa Bounds - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 16:33
Unfortunately for us it looks like this will be the only option for broadband internet where we live, well apart from satellite braadband.

I think it was somewhere around the $100 vicinity for 3gig & 1500 speed. About the same cost for two way satellites, so I'm not sure which way we'll go - it's a pity the sat dish that we have to use for tv reception can't be used for the net as well.

So much for city equivalent broadband in the bush hey, yeah we get city speeds but not at city prices - I was paying $45 a month for 5gig & 1500 speed before we moved!

Mind you the free to air sattelite tv performs heaps better than the Austar pay tv my Mum used to have in Qld, it generally got heaps of pixelation and drop outs.

It certainly is great that you can have internet in the middle of nowhere though! Mind you for those that stay in motels it's as simple as hooking up to the phone line and paying 90c for the local call, well either that or extortionate rates for wireless.
FollowupID: 577977

Follow Up By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 07:02

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 07:02
Hi Norm
Sounds like you might be at Batten point or King Ash Bay ???
How's the fishing this year ??
Regards
Neil
FollowupID: 578086

Follow Up By: Novice Nomads - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:06

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:06
Thanks Norm,
Will bear your suggestion in mind. Sounds as if might suit us as well as we'll only be doing shorter trips and, like most, don't like making any more donations to Telstra than necessary!
Regards,
Graham
FollowupID: 578265

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:39
Yes Neil. We are at King Ash Bay. Fishing is not as good as last year (we spent a few weeks here in April / May last year). No real wet season this year and the weather got cooler earlier this year. Both of these factors have probably had an effect.
But plenty of fish, crabs and prawns to keep us fed and happy all the same.

I got a 95cm Barra off the bank at about 8.00PM a couple of weeks back and last night landed a giant groper about 7 ft long and at a guess weighed over 250 lb. Took about 40 mins to get him in. Wife took a couple of pics and of course we let him go. A lot of fun and a good work out to boot.

Norm C
FollowupID: 578490

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 17:22

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 17:22
Norm,

Funny you should mention that. I only spoke to somebody at Telstra the other day about it. Sounds pretty good but I'm just in the dark a bit about how much internet time 200mb will give me. I wouldn't be endlessly browsing but maybe a max of 1/2 hour per day. I use it for weather/marine forecasts and news/sport updates mainly as well as it being a good info-search tool.

NN: re: the sat dish: probably not what you're after for your needs but others may be interested that I got set up for just over $300. It took a bit of getting used to at first and I wondered if I'd ever get a signal but after you've used it 3 or 4 times you become pretty used to setting it up. I just take my TV, Foxtel box, sat dish and market umbrella base (better than the tripod that I paid $70 for - $25 and a more stable base for it) Again, don't use it a lot but it's nice to be in the bush and not have to miss major sports events etc
AnswerID: 312023

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:04

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:04
200mb wil give you sweet f all.
Why not look at a BIgpond 10 hour a month for $34. Fair use applies. I guess that means Dont be greedy.
Thats what I am going for anyway as at the moment I get 20gig from iinet for $69 at home that is.
FollowupID: 578127

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:54

Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:54
Steve 200MB is $59 and 1G is $89. We figured that 1G is pretty good value (compared to 200MB). I average about 300MB per month, and with the way I use it, I doubt that I will ever get close to the 1G. Far too much to do while travelling and camping to spend too much time on the net.

The 10 hour plan is good, but as far as I know, it requires a 2 year contract. Also 10 hours is onlyabout 20 mins per day. I don't keep track, but I suspect I average a bit more than that. Emails, news (text, not video), weather, investments, occasional surfing. Might not use it for 3 or 4 days, but then spend a couple of hours.

Horses for courses. 1G casual packs work well for us, but others will have different usage.

As you have no contract on the casual packs, you can always start on a 1G pack, then move back to 200MB after a couple of months if it looks like that will cover your needs. Thats what we did and have stayed with the 1G pack.

Norm C
FollowupID: 578494

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Jun 28, 2008 at 21:47

Saturday, Jun 28, 2008 at 21:47
thanks Norm.

I've still got the parasites ;) at home/school so don't get away for very long yet.

Still, I suppose it won't be long before mobile internet becomes commonplace - that's if we can juggle the fuel and internet bills
FollowupID: 578798

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2008 at 20:20
Gooday,
Have an Oyster unit, made in Germany, fully automatic, 12 Volt, very happy with it, had it for a year & a half.
Sold by SmartSat, (just google them ) on the Gold Coast, last I saw they were around the $5,000-00 fitted. Been available from these people for about 4 years, he is very experienced in this field.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 312062

Follow Up By: Novice Nomads - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:10

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:10
Thanks Boroma604,
Did as you suggested and Googled them - they have an agent at Brookvale (about 2 hours from us) with instore demo so will organise a visit and check 'em out.
Regards,
Graham
FollowupID: 578267

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 16:53

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 16:53
Hi Graham
If you are reasonably handy and have basic electrical knowledge, you should be ok.
With the Campersat unit, came all the assembly and wiring instructions along with forms to register the Optus Aurora card etc.
The instructions were comprehensive, clear and straight forward.
The kit contains the dish, which has to be bolted to the arm / motorized head unit, this was then bolted to a square aluminium plate about 3mm thick (sourced / supplied by us). This plate was then bolted to the external roof and sealed. There are two cables that you need to feed through the ceiling space ( the space between the external roof and the inner ceiling, these cables need to go to the control module (pre programmed), which needs to be mounted in an accessible location. It has an lcd display and a couple of push buttons. This unit (from memory) was about 200 x 150 x 30 but the display and button area was (from memory), only about 60 x 100. So we cut a hole this size on an aluminium panel, and mounted the control unit behind the panel, then mounted the panel to a wall, therefore the control unit and all cables were hidden and fed the cables from the dish in the wall. We also needed a fused 12v supply through the wall to the control unit, along with a cable to the ignition, so if the dish isn't down when the bus ign is turned "on" it folds down automatically. Not sure you would / could use this feature in a caravan. The output of the control unit, a coax cable, was fed through the bus, to the location of the decoder box. The kit we bought, had one decoder box with it, and the Optus Aurora card (which gets you all the ABC's, all the SBS's, a couple of other tv stations and about 50 radio stations and two of the four commercial TV stations either Imparja & 7 Central or GWN & WIN - depending which side of the WA border you are travelling) we also purchased a coax switch, so my brother-in-law could also take his Austar Pay TV decoder box from home. Both Optus Aurora and Austar come from the same satellite C1).
The RF outputs ( antenna outputs) of the two decoder boxes were mixed together with a diplexer (mixer) and then split, using a three way splitter which then feed the three tv's in the bus.
If you need any more info, photos, wiring diagrams etc. , get back to me.
If you do want more info., I won't have computer access for 4 or 5 days as I am working inter-state .
Hope this helps.
Regards
Neil (res.q.guy@westnet.com.au)
AnswerID: 312352

Sponsored Links